As suspected the problem was indeed the computer. I rushed home at lunchtime and in less than 10 minutes I had installed the software on my main PC and it sprang to life just like the video promised.
I only had a short time to try it out, but picked up some FM stations, pager signals and the RAF Waddington ATIS which should have been on 291.675MHz but the frequency on the HDSDR screen was way off.
It does appear to be a little deaf but I hadn't got a decent antenna connected so I won't conclusively say that yet as I've got to make up an adapter this evening so I can connect the loft antenna on. Also the EXT-IO interface has a gain control that I didn't alter from the default.