Wednesday 28 September 2011

Solar Flares

Not sure what is going on, but both computers I use at work have just borked, one just froze completely and no option to turn it off and on again, the other was reporting one of the drives in the RAID had failed!

Yesterday one of co-workers computers developed an unmountable boot volume BSOD while he was out the office....

I jokingly tweeted about solar flares being the culprit, I know solar activity has been on the increase but little did I know that in fact there have been some severe coronal mass ejections in the past week due to a huge sun spot and there is a resulting geomagnetic storm

AR1302 Alan Friedman via Bad Astronomy

Going to keep an eye on http://www.solarham.com/ for more data, however like the sun itself I wouldn't recommend looking at it directly without some eye protection!

No comments: